Live Scan is an inkless, electronic means of capturing fingerprints in a digitized format and then transmitting them to the Illinois State Police and/or the FBI. Previously, fingerprints were taken by applying ink to each finger, then rolling each finger on a fingerprint card. This method was inherently messy and prone to capturing poor image quality. By processing fingerprints electronically, criminal history responses can be provided within a matter of hours if received electronically or 3 -5 days if received by mail.
• Fingerprints are then searched against the State Of Illinois criminal history database and/or the FBI criminal database (where applicable).
• Live Scan provides the fingerprint technician with the opportunity to retake a print several times to ensure they are capturing the best image quality possible.
• Fingerprints are based on the fingerprint image data contained in the submission and unique to the individual, Responses to a fingerprint based inquiry are based on POSITIVE IDENTIFICATION (no multiple hits).
• Fingerprints provide for a Biometric Search of the Criminal History Database (CHRI).
• Fingerprints are the gold standard of identification – no two individuals have the same fingerprints (not even identical twins).
• Electronic Live Scan fingerprinting also eliminates errors and multiple “hits” associated with name checks and ensures the accuracy of the background check.
Metropolitan Protective Services Inc.